Friday, April 11, 2008

New Treatment = New Side Effects.

Taxol (aka Paclitaxel) is the new treatment cycle that I am on. And the side effects are different but annoying nonetheless. (1 down, 3 more to go)
- numbness/tingling/burning of the hands/feet
- muscle/joint pain
- flushing
- hair loss (again - yay!)
- change in blood pressure
- headache - (have yet to determine if this is a side effect or just allergy headache)

These effects are MUUUUCH better than the AC, don't get me wrong. Overall, I feel much better. There are other noticeable side effects that I have realized have come with the steroid that they give you to offset allergic reactions - which from my experience - why would anyone WANT to voluntarily take this stuff?? For real. Good grief. I mean I have more energy but the other side effects out way that benefit...
corticosteroids: Side effects that I am experiencing.
  • increased appetite
  • water and salt retention leading to swelling and edema
  • high blood pressure
  • black and blue marks
  • muscle weakness
  • increased susceptibility to infection
  • increased sweating
  • mood swings

mood swings and bizarrely irrational reactions to random things have caught me by surprise (ie I say WTH at least 5 times a day, up from my previous 2-a-day average) This could be just "dealing with things" but for now I am blaming it on the 'roids.

Overall, the treatment is positive. School is what is overwhelming atm... but at least it is only one thing at a time. Things work out that way, you know? There's a reason for this madness.

WTH.

2 comments:

mteph said...

hello there,

stephanie here. i received my fantastic tote plus a little star toy (it looks exactly like the stars from super mario galaxy, a perfect addition to the package)

anyway, just saying i got it. its adorable. can't wait to use it for groceries and such.

hope you feel better soon!

Kate Richardson said...

has spring hit NYC yet? Getting any nice weather? April has been really wet so far in nashvegas. New photos of Seth & nigel as "icecream statues" will be on their way to you soon. Just have to get them off of the camera.