Monday, January 21, 2008

port-o-wha?

if anyone tells you that port surgery is no big deal - they are lying. the positives about the port surgery are:
1) local anesthesia and sedation-- yay sedation - what can best be described by quoting the anesthesiologist... "how much of today do you want to remember?" (he actually moved up to my third favorite doctor, though) and 2) the drugs - at this point i don't 100% need them. but i am 100% using them and they are good. whatever passes the time people, whatever passes the time.

the negatives about the port in general:
1) alllll day in the hospital again including pre-op anxiety. good times... you would have at least thought that i would have learned my lesson that i could go in with underwear. dangit! maybe next surgery...
2) soreness factor is right up there - so according to what dr. told me the procedure is as follows - cut into skin just below collar bone and make a neat little pocket for the port, then thread a tube up in a major artery (another incision) through the neck.
3) can't lift heavies on either side now. i mean not that i cart around bricks all day but it really makes carrying the laptop a pain and forget about grocery shopping. i am just complaining about being disabled - it will pass - but for now its a total pain- literally and metaphorically
quick story about the fiasco that was the commute to the hospital. so first off the appt. was for 5:45 AM - good times. I got a "car" into the city which ended up being the shadiest stretch limo i have EVER seen. "they didn't have another car available" was what i was told. 5:45 AM, dark, rainy, tinted windows... so you can not SEE ANYTHING. i write the directions on a piece of paper - queensboro bridge avoid the toll. so get this vague feeling we are going in the wrong direction but the dude has the partition up so you can't even talk to him and 10 minutes later we are on the toll bridge. you know, whatever, fine. another 10 minutes we pull up to the hosiptal - $40... plus toll. WTH? 1) not paying the toll. 2) $40 to w12th from LIC, not a chance. i gave him $30 and left the "car". you better believe there is a complaint coming... see attached picture of the ghetto "bar" in the ghetto "car".
that is all...

6 comments:

Mallory family said...

Hope you took advantage of the free drinks...I'm guessing a choice of Mike's Hard Lemonade or "disaronno on the rocks"

Unknown said...

Hi Nicole,
It's Matt. Alli's in a bible study with Virgina Ann and she forwarded us your blog. I've just read your entire blog and I'm so happy to hear about your prognosis. Would love to catch up. Not sure if this breaks blogger protocal (I'm a rookie bloggie), but you can call me at 615-400-5618 or email me at msimpson@vaco.com

Alli said...

Matt's a rookie at a lot but you and I knew that right? SO glad that Virginia and I have connected. Crazy, small world huh? We have thought about you a ton and hate to have lost touch. I knew that was you, however, just after the delivery of the first 3-4lines I read. Your humor hasn't gone anywhere. We wish you well, want to catch up and hope you'll shoot us a message. Take care-Alli

JAQ said...

Ugh! I think I spotted a used condom on top of the ghetto bar (top right)...we are going to make an indie film out of this blog, okay? you, me and Sundance, baby!

lB said...

HA... i thought that picture was of 'dark crystals.' Nicole, only you would have such that classic story that only you would experience & be able to tell so anecdotally...

lB said...

HA... i thought that picture was of 'dark crystals.' Nicole, only you would have such that classic story that only you would experience & be able to tell so anecdotally...
(ps: i've tried the 'word verification' to post on this 2 times now, and think it would be more fun as a word scramble, or maybe Balderdash...)